In today’s episode, Max Kerwick shares a keynote from the Capitalism Conference by Tom Bilyeu — the man behind Quest Nutrition and Impact Theory — a 60 minute compilation of all of his most valuable business secrets.
Tune in to hear what he learned on the path he took from hand-making protein bars in his garage to a multi-billion dollar brand.
[03:00] Tom introduces himself and explains how he was not a born entrepreneur: he even went so far as to deliver papers for free because he was afraid to ring the doorbells to collect!
[05:30] The two childhood goals Tom had zero idea how to achieve.
- 1. Become rich
- 2. Have 6 pack abs
- [06:20] The king of menial jobs… So much so that everyone expected him to fail.
- [08:10] Who is your white rabbit. Tom talks about his two very muscular rabbits.
- [09:23] Tom’s superpower — Nietzsche said it best to the people he cared for — suffering.
- [13:40] After Tom endured his work and his riches without meaning, he quit, so he could start asking different questions. Failure and sadness are the only guarantee.
- Know the odds, while you’re striving for success and happiness, and do something you love.
- [19:36] A unicorn company is a formula, the before and after pictures are there. But there ares difficult parts: being afraid, feeling stupid, lost and hopeless.
- [20:49] To build your own unicorn company you have 2 jobs. Job 1:
- - Develop your mindset and understand that what you believe is a choice: the Matrix has you, it’s time to lift the limiting veil.
- - Keep listening for job 2!
- [30:00] From a decidedly utilitarian perspective Tom shares his method to develop usable new skills.
- - Be an eternal student — you are not yet the person you need to be to accomplish everything you want to accomplish
- - Meditate
- - Be open to change, don't just talk about it
- - Execute
- - Develop grit
- [34:00] Have an ego, everyone does, but have it about the right things. Make certain you pride yourself on things that will drive your goals, don’t pride yourself on being right.
- [36:45] Grit is sustained effort over time, persisting through your boredom and suffering, develop this faculty and learn to tell the difference between lack of grit and disinterest.
- [38:24] One of the questions Tom hears most frequently is how do you find your passion? Like for building a Unicorn company there is a formula: Interest + Mastery = Passion.
- [41:41] We said keep listening and here it is: Job 2, build your business, Tom breaks down the how to’s: